Photo of the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. (Courtesy of the U.S. Navy)
Today marks the 65th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. In honor of the occasion, here's a small selection of commemorative Web sites:
- Presidential Proclamation: National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, 2006
- USS Arizona National Memorial (U. S. Park Service)
Site includes directions, operating hours, and a list of events. Admission is free.
- Naval Historical Center - Pearl Harbor FAQ
A great one-stop resource for action reports, photographs, oral histories, lesson plans, and links to other Pearl Harbor resources.
- Remembering Pearl Harbor (U. S. Department of Defense)
This commemorative website includes a survivor account, photographs, and links to other Pearl Harbor resources.
- After the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor (Library of Congress)
This site is part of the American Memory Project, and comes courtesy of The American Folklife Center. The online exhibit consists of transcripts and audio files (Real Player, MP3 or WAV) of interviews conducted around the country on December 8-10, 1941.
- National Geographic: Remembering Pearl Harbor
This 2001 exhibit include a multimedia map and timeline of the attack, as well as an archive of survivor's stories.